Wednesday 4 January 2012

Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) Kedjanou

Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
File:Flag of Cote d'Ivoire.svg
Flag of Côte d'Ivoire
Mask of  Côte d'Ivoire 
As I was searching for music for a friend of my father's who wants to explore African music, I heard a song from Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) which provided my inspiration for dinner. I've never been there, but after working in Haiti many years ago, I love the mix of African and French in music and food. I searched for recipes that included what I had in my cupboards and refrigerator after returning from our holidays in sunny Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale and this is what I came up with.

 Kedjanou




The main ingredients are chicken pieces - on the bone is best for flavour - chopped onions, tomatoes and aubergines (eggplants). Key spices included bayleaf, thyme, ginger, garlic and chilies. 





Kedjanou  is normally cooked slowly in a tagine, but I used my trusty 20 year old Le Creuset pot! 




Aubergines (eggplants) are delicious with any meat, but  you could also use okras.



 Boiled cabbage, carrots and potatoes worked well as a healthy and warming winter side dish.





Kedjanou is traditionally served with attiéké (a starchy dish made from cassava flour. But we ate it with boiled white rice and potatoes. It could also go well with couscous or fufu.



Click here for the recipe that inspired this dish. http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/kedjenou.html

Learn more about Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) here - the source of the flag and mask above. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te_d'Ivoire




No comments:

Post a Comment